Friday, January 11, 2008

SoS 1:9 A company of horses


Sgs 1:9
I have compared thee, O
my love, to a company of
horses in Pharaoh's chariots.


Lexicon / Concordance for Sgs 1:9




EnglishStrong'sHebrew (Root form)Tense
(Click on any item below for Concordance)
(Click)
I have compared
[01819] damah
thee, O my love,
[07474] ra`yah
to a company of horses
[05484] cuwcah
in Pharaoh's
[06547] Par`oh
chariots.
[07393] rekeb

Compared- Damah

The word damah, translated in English as
compared, is important because in this
piece, every utterance is a parable.

If someone compared me to a horse,
I'd take it as a hostile act, even an
occasion to punch them in the nose.
If my fiancee called me a horse, we
would soon be strangers...

But, Solomon's comparison and likeness
of his beloved to one of Pharaoh's horses
is far different. Is there any creature quite
as regal as the horse? In the ancient world
the horse was an essential means of
transportation. If horses were God's
creatures of strength, utility, and power,
then Pharaoh's fleet of horses was a
stable of Ferrari's.

If my fiancee said I was a beautiful as
a Ferrari, I'd take it as a compliment.

Hebrew for H1819
Damah
דמה

Transliteration

damah p>

Pronunciation

dä·mä' (Key)

Part of Speech

verb

Root Word (Etymology)

a primitive root

TWOT Reference

437

Outline of Biblical Usage

1) to be like, resemble

a) (Qal) to be like, resemble

b) (Piel)

1) to liken, compare

2) to imagine, think

c) (Hithpael) to make oneself like

d) (Niphal)


Authorized Version (KJV) Translation Count — Total: 29
H1819


Psa 89:6